Wednesday, February 07, 2007

St. Valentine's Day - for ever for lovers

Today, the media big guy MSNBC.com has a story about "anti-Valentine's Day" celebrations. I gotta tell you - I am steamed. First it was Christmas, now Valentines? Go home you Cupid haters!

Well, I love Valentine's Day! I love what it stands for and the history of it. Of course, I am sure the secular American movements want to keep that out of the equation. God forbid the ACLU found out people know the day is actually that of a patron Saint!

St. Valentine's Day was the celebration day of a saint who was martyred for marrying couples who were in love and were prohibited from marrying because the man had to serve in the Roman army.

Today, I love to celebrate with my husband and children. Anti-Valentines? Just another method for attacking American traditions. If you want to pamper yourself - I say go for it - but, don't rain on my parade.

As far as pressure to get "just the right gift"...my favorite Valentine's have ALWAYS been the ones my kids make. And last year, all I wanted from my husband was a simple inexpensive ($25) silver claddagh ring, and dinner that I did not have to cook. Simple, easy and no pressure.

Don't like lovers? Stay home and eat frozen pizza with some ripple. I will relax and enjoy my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment