Thursday, April 21, 2011

Easter - A Season of Renewal

Easter is late this year.  So, in many ways is my own "season of renewal".  Though I think mine has been growing for more than just 40 days...and new, things are starting to flower and take root!

For Catholics, in February - deep in the cold and dark of Winter's long time of snow and ice, we celebrate Ash Wednesday - the beginning of Lent - it always brings me the promise of Spring - that knowledge that even in the deepest part of winter's hold, God wants us to feel the spark of warmth that comes with rebirth of all things.

The long 40 days of Lent - when we focused on "giving up" something for Lent.  That sacrifice is not meant to deprive us of something we like, but rather as a focal point for the bigger work of becoming a better person in faith.  By focusing on that one small sacrifice, we can use thoughts of that to strive to be a better mother, wife, friend, person.  For me, it has always been a struggle of my passionate nature - the quixotic, red-headed temperament that has always been my area of weakness, the one, big place to focus improvements.  Over years (YEARS), I have gotten a tight rein on my harsher tendencies and become....more - patient. (perhaps)  I try.  Every year.  Something new.

Then, with the bright little shoots of green, everywhere it seems all at once, it bursts to the surface - my desire to have new, green, growing things all around.  I love the change of seasons and all the different and new flowers, plants, fruits, vegetables, promises of things to come....Easter and growing - personal growth and growth of what seeds you planted.  The rebirth and promise of our Lord, Jesus and His gift to us - and the gifts that come from the earth.  They all seem tied together now.

In the Spring, I am always pulled by the earth to plant new, beautiful things to watch and nurture and grow.  I love this time of year and seeing what new things will bloom - just around the corner.  This year, I have planted my herbs and some flowers, my trees have budded and small pears and apples are on the branches.  Grapes have returned - and look to produce this year!  We will see what the harvest provides later in the summer, but for now - everything is coming up....roses.  :-)

So, Happy Easter...Happy Spring, Happy Renewed You!

No comments:

Post a Comment